Thursday, October 14, 2010

IMPORTANT SUPPLICATIONS OF THE PROPHET MOHAMMED SALLALAHU ALAIHI WASSALLAM

Shaista Salafi

1471. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said, "Seek refuge in Allah against the turmoils, attacks of misfortunes, and evil of judgement and joys of the enemies.''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: The trouble of a trial which is unbearable for a person and from which he does not have the power to rid himself is called (juhd al-bala'), translated here as `turmoils'. Some people are of the opinion that it is synonymous with poverty combined with abundant children. But Al-Hafiz Ibn Hajar is of the view that it is only one of the several kinds of "Troubles of a Trial.'' "Ash-Shaqa' is the opposite of good fortune, that is, to pray for protection from misfortune. No Decision of Allah is wrong but some of His Decisions may be harmful for certain people while others are beneficial for them. This means that their goodness or badness is related to persons. What it signifies is that one should pray to Allah to keep one safe from such decisions which are harmful for him. "Shamatat'' the pleasure that one's enemy feels on one's trouble. In other words, it is prayed that Allah may protect one from any such trouble which is pleasing to one's enemy, because when a person is in trouble, his enemies feel pleasure over it. In this Hadith, one sentence was added by Abu Sufyan and during his old age he did not remember which one it was. But we learn from other Ahadith that it was "the pleasure of enemies''. (Ibn `Allan). This Hadith also shows the honesty and integrity of the narrators of Ahadith. They were honest to the extent that if a few words of supplication were added to a Hadith by its narrators, they would point it out. Some scholars have regarded these words an addition in the Hadith by its narrator, who is otherwise reliable, but it is not a problem of "addition of authority'' because in that case, the addition is the saying of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) which is mentioned by one narrator and omitted by another. But here it is quite different as the narrator of the Hadith himself is pointing out the addition made by him. Such additional words are technically called "Mudraj''

1472. Abu Hurairah (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to say: "Allahumm-aslih li diniyalladhi huwa `ismatu amri, wa aslih li dunyaya-llati fiha ma`ashi, wa aslih li akhirati-llati fiha ma`adi, waj`alil-hayata ziyadatan li fi kulli khair, waj`alil-mauta rahatan li min kulli sharrin (O Allah, make my religion easy for me by virtue of which my affairs are protected, set right for me my world where my life exists, make good for me my Hereafter which is my resort to which I have to return, and make my life prone to perform all types of good, and make death a comfort for me from every evil).''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This is a very comprehensive prayer which simply means: "O Allah! Help me spend all my life in complete devotion to You, doing what You like and avoiding what You dislike.''

1473. `Ali (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) said to me, "Recite: `Allahumma-hdini wa saddidni (O Allah! Direct me to the Right Path and make me adhere to the Straight Path).'' Another narration is: `Allahumma inni as'aluk-alhuda was-sadad (I beg You for guidance and uprightness).''
[Muslim].

Commentary: "As-Sadad'' means correctness and uprightness. Here, it signifies "please grant me the ability to do everything in a correct manner'', that is in accordance with the practice of the Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam). Some scholars of Hadith have interpreted it as steadfastness and moderation. Both interpretations accord well with its original meanings.

1474. Anas (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika minal-ajzi wal-kasali, wal-jubni wal-harami, wal-bukhli, wa a`udhu bika min `adhabil-qabri, wa a`udhu bika min fitnatil-mahya wal-mamat [O Allah! I seek refuge in You from helplessness (to do good), indolence, cowardice, senility, and miserliness; and I seek Your Protection against the torment of the grave and the trials of life and death].'' Another narration adds: "wa dala`id-daini wa ghalabatir-rijal (And from the burden of indebtedness and the tyranny of men).''
[Muslim].

1475. Abu Bakr As-Siddiq (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: I requested the Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) to teach me a supplication which I could recite in my Salat (prayer). Thereupon he said, "Recite: `Allahumma inni zalamtu nafsi zulman kathiran, wa la yaghfirudh-dhunuba illa Anta, faghfir li maghfiratan min `indika, warhamni, innaka Antal-Ghafur-ur-Rahim (O Allah! I have considerably wronged myself. There is none to forgive the sins but You. So grant me pardon and have mercy on me. You are the Most Forgiving, the Most Compassionate).'''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: It is desirable to recite this prayer in Salat after Tashahhud and before Taslim. One can also recite it at all other times also.

1476. Abu Musa (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to supplicate: "Allahumm-aghfir li khati'ati, wajahli, wa israfi fi amri, wa ma Anta a`lamu bihi minni. Allahumm-aghfir li jiddi wa hazli, wa khata'i wa `amdi, wa kullu dhalika `indi. Allahumm-aghfir li ma qaddamtu wa ma akhkhartu, wa ma asrartu, wa ma a`lantu, wa ma Anta a`lamu bihi minni. Antal-Muqaddimu, wa Antal-Mu'akhkhiru; wa Anta `ala kulli shai'in Qadir (O Allah! Forgive my errors, ignorance and immoderation in my affairs. You are better aware of my faults than myself. O Allah! Forgive my faults which I committed in seriousness or in fun deliberately or inadvertently. O Allah! Grant me pardon for those sins which I committed in the past and I may commit in future, which I committed in privacy or in public and all those sins of which You are better aware than me. You Alone can send whomever You will to Jannah, and You Alone can send whomever You will to Hell-fire and You are Omnipotent).''
[Al-Bukhari and Muslim].

Commentary: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) was sinless but still he prayed earnestly to Allah for the forgiveness of his shortcomings. In fact, he did so to educate his followers. This prayer is an expression of one's utter humbleness and sincere repentance of sins.

1477. `Aishah (May Allah be pleased with her) reported: The Prophet (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to supplicate (in these words): "Allahumma inni audhu bika min sharri ma `amiltu, wa min sharri ma lam a`mal (O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the evil of that which I have done and the evil of that which I have not done).''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This prayer is also very comprehensive. Sometimes a person does a virtuous deed but it is tainted with slight hypocrisy or pride. It is an element which destroys even the most virtuous deeds. It is this mischief against which Allah's Protection has been sought through this prayer.

1478. `Abdullah bin `Umar (May Allah be pleased with them) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) used to supplicate thus: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min zawali ni`matika, wa tahawwuli `afiyatika, wa fuja'ati niqmatika, wa jami`i sakhatika (O Allah! I seek refuge in You against the declining of Your Favours, passing of safety, the suddenness of Your punishment and all that which displeases You).''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This is also a very comprehensive prayer. Allah has blessed man with innumerable gifts. One becomes conscious of them when one is deprived of any of them, hence it is said that the value of a blessing is realized at its loss. For eyes, ears, tongue, health, property, children and such countless blessings, we owe gratitude to Allah. In the prayer cited in this Hadith, one entreats Allah not to deprive of any blessing given to him. `Afiyah means safe from disease, grief and troubles. "Passing of the safety (`Afiyah)'' signifies the change from a state of good health to a state of illness and weakness or that one is overtaken by troubles and afflictions.

1479. Zaid bin Arqam (May Allah be pleased with him) reported: The Messenger of Allah (sallallaahu ’alayhi wa sallam) would supplicate: "Allahumma inni a`udhu bika minal-`ajzi wal-kasali, wal-bukhli wal-harami, wa `adhabil-qabri. Allahumma ati nafsi taqwaha, wa zakkiha Anta khairu man zakkaha, Anta waliyyuha wa maulaha. Allahumma inni a`udhu bika min `ilmin la yanfau`, wa min qalbin la yakhsha`u, wa min nafsin la tashba`u, wa min da`watin la yustajabu laha` [O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the inability (to do good), indolence, cowardice, miserliness, decrepitude and torment of the grave. O Allah! Grant me the sense of piety and purify my soul as You are the Best to purify it. You are its Guardian and its Protecting Friend. O Allah! I seek refuge in You from the knowledge which is not beneficial, and from a heart which does not fear (You), and from desire which is not satisfied, and from prayer which is not answered].''
[Muslim].

Commentary: This Hadith contains the prayer for fear of Allah, beneficial knowledge (that is, the knowledge of the Qur'an and Hadith), patience and contentment.

No comments: